I've made Roasted Portobellos more times than I can count. After all, it is the Vegetarian version of grilling up a steak. This time was probably the best yet. I marinated them for 30 minutes with blush wine (it was what I had in the house), olive oil, soy sauce, balsamic, and minced garlic. I used the mini portobellos, partly because they are cuter, but also because they seem to have a more tender texture. Thirty minutes under foil at 400 degrees, then flipped for another ten... I can only imagine how good they'd be on a burger or sandwich.
Instead, I sliced them up and served them on top of Bulghur with Spinach. Yes, it's the same thing as bulgar. And once again, I was impressed with bulgar. It's so easy to make, and the nutty grain is hard to compete with. Yet another recipe I'll share the adaptation for!
- Sauté 1 T. olive oil and 1 c. sliced scallions on medium, 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1 c. bulgar, stir to coat grains with oil.
- Pour in 1 1/4 c. boiling water, simmer for 10 minutes max.
- Add 4 c. finely chopped spinach, salt to taste, and cook 8 more minutes or until spinach is cooked but still green.
- Add 2 T. lemon juice and stir. Fluff with a fork and serve.
Just like the last bulgar salad, this dish was better the next day, and was just as good cold. I used a lemon pepper spice combination, and that balanced out the balsamic infused mushrooms perfectly. Another "leftover" success!